Tuesday, March 14, 2017


I had this coloured light cotton fabric cut up from a summer dress.

And I turned it into a wind-sock simply by sewing a square shut at the side, hemming the top and bottom. I inserted a wire coat hanger into the top hem. And attached scraps of matching fabric at the bottom. Light fabric that could billow in the breeze.

Then I simply got a thumbtack and stuck the fabric on to a stick!

Friday, March 3, 2017

Large-sleeved Bolero pattern drafted

I did a pattern-drafting course in Róisín Cross Silks in Dún Laoghaire, Co. Dublin under Sarah Foy. It was very good. I designed a pattern for a bolero. A large-sleeved bolero.

I made copies for all the ladies in the class and posted them to them as Christmas presents!
 I made it up in a colouredy silk but I found it hard to match anything to the bolero and I never actually wore it; I put on weight and it no longer fit. So I gave it away without taking a photograph.
 All I have are these pictures of the pattern! And the pattern itself.

Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Sewing Machine Cover

My sewing machine came with a light plastic Singer cover. I cut it up at the seams and used that as a pattern to make a new cover in a sewing-themed fabric.

The fabric is not my style really at all! I'm not a particularly pattern-friendly person. But it's a bit fun and fits the task...
I french-seamed it, and did it backwards on the side seams but that didn't matter.
And I made a really basic flaap for the handle-hole.

It keeps the dust off the top of the machine!
Nice little job for an hour on a Sunday.